Wednesday 21 April 2010

So he is off on another creative project and I get to have breakfast in the garden.....

Two days on the ranch and we have earned ourselves a day on the boat so I am showered up and will have an early night for an adventure tomorrow. We got HOSS aboard Beema last week and although he showed cunning understanding that this was perhaps not going to be as good as running the beach or chasing swallows in the garden he made the effort, reluctantly, and came on board. When we arrived on our new pontoon in Cherbourg however, it suddenly occurred to me that the heights are different and to get on board now, will require a hop and a skip from HOSS and I think we may be looking at gang planks and other contraptions, I fear that HOSS's Master and Commander will be contemplation making him walk the plank in more ways then just getting on board......
We cut a huge branch from one of our trees yesterday. We tagged it last summer when in full leaf, the branch dangled so low that Mike couldn't get the mower underneath, so before the leaves burst into fullness this year the branch has been cut and a sense of fresh air and light abounds. I am the worlds most "use it again " merchant and I got straight down to the triage of big branches, small branches and bits we can do nothing with. It sends Mike completely mad as I become slightly obsessive and tetchy if he gets the piles wrong or ignores them completely but after an hour we stashed piles of wood fire burnables, garden support poles and, the just right for the wood chipper wood. I got the chipper out and then spent two hours encouraging these branches to go through the feeder without getting stuck so that I can have fresh and fabulous smelling wood chippings to use as ground cover in the garden.
Job for today then was WEEDING...I hate that so much but must confess that I am learning how weeds think and if you attack them in a specific way, they really do give up . We have been working on the 'Garden' Garden for three years now and the weeds are mostly opportunist weaklings and grass clumps so the job was not as bad as I try to tell it. I then pottered about with odd bits of Branch and made retainers around the garden area then spread chippings everywhere and as I had 5 huge builders buckets to shift I was able to chuck a good coating to discourage the weeds thinking they can make a show, because they can't, ...I said so.
We bought another Singer sewing machine table in Depot Vends. This is our third and Mike is converting them into garden tables, they are strong and full of character, so he is off on another creative project and I get to have breakfast in the garden.....

No comments:

Post a Comment