Saturday 6 March 2010

That job, that keeps me up at night fretting, will be done for another year.....

Retirement means there is time to read, and although we lack a place to sit at leisure in plenty of light, ie, a conservatory we do get through plenty of books sat up in bed and in the better weather out on the terrace. We enjoy a good read and both get through a good number of stories and experience the highs, lows and difficulties of many, but I bet none is so bad as to equal the difficulty and horror of digging over the compost heap into a new cubicle....well that is what I did today. Mike got the weed killer down this morning much quicker than I had expected and caught me as I was about to engage in a bit of VIV DIY.....I have been bleating that I needed a new divider in the compost area and having moved all our two year old compost onto the allotment I was ready to turn last years and then turn this years but I neeeeeed a divider. Mike caught me red handed on my way to his workshop in search of a mallet and when I explained that I was just planning to drive some stakes into the ground to keep the corrugated iron sheets up he just looked crest fallen that after all this time I still went for the bodge and scarper technique. True to form he collected his drill, screws, washers and hunted through the barn for good wood and within an hour I had a fantastic all singing and dancing divider that will still be there in 2090...great. After lunch Mike got the Renault tractor (circa 1965) out of winter hibernation and set off with with gang mower in tow and did a complete cut across the entire field. I, during that time, and getting back to the most horrid of jobs, dug out last years compost heap to turn it and sort out the undesirables which included miles of the nylon bits in an all wool carpet....never put a carpet in your compost, or corn on the cob plants they just do not decompose. I am only half way through this rotton , or should I say well composted job, as two barrow fulls was enough to raise my heart beat and make me feel giddy, so by tomorrow or perhaps Monday that job, that keeps me up at night fretting, will be done for another year.....

No comments:

Post a Comment